Duke negotiates with vendors to make software available to the Duke community for discounted rates or, in many cases, for free. Software funded and/or distributed by OIT must meet the following criteria to be considered for site wide licensing:
- Current Duke spending for the product exceeds the cost of a central license to cover all use.
- The product offers great value to a large portion of the Duke community and is not overly specialized.
- There are not existing Duke-licensed or free products that offer the same functionality.
- There are significant pricing discounts available for central licensing.
- The product is free, or the full cost can be recovered by departmental funding or individual resale.
If you are Duke faculty, staff, student, or an affiliate, you have access to many software packages through Duke Software Licensing. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please e-mail the software licensing office at email@example.com.