Requesting an eFax Account
eFax is the University’s fax over IP service. Use the information below to request an account.
Note: eFax is not available for Duke Health staff
- Create a ServiceNow request asking for a new eFax account to be created, and assign the ticket to the Telecom-Engineering-OIT group.
- Include the following information in the request: Fax Number to be linked (or note if a new fax number needs to be created), the email address to be linked to the account (individual or group), and the name of the department that the account will be linked to. A personal Duke account can also be set up to use to send outgoing faxes only. If a personal account is being requested, please provide Name, NetID and Department.
Note: Creating this account will effectively replace the physical fax machine that was previously linked to the number. All faxes will be received through eFax and be sent via email, bypassing the physical machine.
Logging into eFax
The eFax Web Login page is located at myfax.oit.duke.edu.
At the login page, you will be redirected for login via Shibboleth. To login, use your netID and your netID password. Upon a successful login, you will be forwarded to the Inbox of your eFax account.
Note: If you have already logged into another application requiring Shibboleth, you may be sent directly to your eFax Inbox page without having to login again.
Creating and Sending a Fax
To use this feature, you must have faxing rights.
To create and send a fax using the Compose feature of the Web Client, perform the following steps:
- Click Compose Fax.
- In the Compose tab, enter the Name, Company and Fax Number of a recipient.
Tip: If you need to add a DTMF code (such as an extension number or a long-distance code), you can enter it after the fax number, preceded with one or several pauses (comma or letter ‘p’ – not case sensitive). For example: (514) 222-3333p1234 (equivalent to (514) 222-3333,1234).
The Name, Company and Fax Number fields offer automated entries from the Web Phone Book when you start to enter a value.
- Enter the Subject of the fax.
- Enter the actual text of the message in the Comment section.
- If you need to use a specific coversheet, select a coversheet in the CoverSheetdrop-downlist, or select None if you do not wish to append one to the fax.
- If you want to join an attachment to the fax, refer to “Adding One or More Attachments to a Fax” below.
- You can modify the sender and company information or the settings for the current fax.
- Click the Submit button, located above the Compose feature's tabs.
When submitting a fax, the Web Client confirms the sending status with a Broadcast Id confirmation.
Note: You can add a contact to your personal phone book when a fax is sent. However, this action can be configured beforehand.
Adding One or More Attachments to a Fax
This procedure takes into consideration that you are preparing a fax before sending it.
- Click Browse and select a file to upload to the fax.
- If you need to add more than one attachment, click the More attachments button. A new section below the Browse field opens.
- Click Browse and choose the file you wish to upload to the fax then click Add.
- Repeat this operation for every fax attachment.
- Use the Move Up and Move Down buttons to modify the order of the attachments.
- If you need to delete an attachment from the list, select an attachment then click Remove.