Office 365: Third Party Application Add-In Request for Outlook and Teams
Many third-party Office 365 applications make copies of files or take data outside Duke's secure environment. Additionally, some third-party apps may leave data unencrypted while in transit. Due to this, all applications to be used within Duke's Office 365 environment must be reviewed and must meet security, licensing, and legal requirements.
In order to be approved, apps must meet the following criteria:
- Support single sign-on
- Data must be encrypted in transport (SSL or TLS)
- Never take content outside of Office 365 storage (pass through to display is OK, but copying / caching files on local devices is not allowed)
- Provide a service not adequately covered by other approved Office 365 applications
- Apps will be run in the approved / appropriate environment
Apps that require licensing fees and/or payment to a third-party vendor will be considered if:
- Payment for app will be made by requesting party
- Payment for app does not require central payment or coordination
- A suitable business case can be made for central payment
Please note that we cannot enable apps/add-ins for Word, Excel or Powerpoint.
Generally the image below will be presented when an app tries to access Duke's environment without permission with the verbiage ' needs admin approval '.
Please use the 'request third party' access link at the bottom of this page.
The following applications are denied for use for all Duke University and Health System users.
- Doodle (access to Duke calendars)
- Power BI Tiles
- Asana Outlook add-in
- Project Buddy
- Good Notes
- PDF Expert
- Fantastical *
- Confluence Cloud for Microsoft Teams
The following applications are approved for use for all Duke University and Health System users.
If Access to the below are wanted, contact the OIT Service Desk at 919 684 2200 or oit.duke.edu/help
or Duke Health Service Desk at 919 684 2243
Service Desk and other IT support personnel:
Staff, Faculty, and Affiliates can obtain access self service via this �web portal
Students do not have access to Bookings. For the other apps, submit a ticket for access via oit.duke.edu/help.
LibCal - at Law for rooms and spaces only, any new requests will require a ticket
Smartsheet is approved via KB003896. Do not escalate a ticket to OIT or DHTS, follow instructions in the KB.
The below are approved and do not require any permissions. Install the add-in via OWA (or Teams if it is a Teams add-in).
- MeisterTask for Teams (add via Teams)
- MeisterTask for Outlook
- MindMeister for Teams (add via Teams)
- Webex for Outlook and Teams
- Rocketbook <- staff, get access via web portal, students contact the OIT Service Desk
- rclone <- staff, get access via web portal, students contact the OIT Service Desk
To request access to a third party application, please click here.
Your request will be acknowledged within three business days.