Creating an RSS Feed in Warpwire and Publishing it in Apple Podcasts
In order for your podcast to show up in the Apple Podcasts app, you must create an RSS feed. Warpwire provides a tool for doing this. Below are step-by-step instructions. To complete this process you will need an Apple ID and access to Duke src="https://duke.service-now.com/s Podcast Site Manager. If you do not have access to Duke" Podcast Site Manager email Duke src="https://duke.service-now.com/s Apple Podcasts team at email@example.com to request access. You will also need to have available a square thumbnail for your podcast that is a minimum of 1400x1400 pixels, and a maximum of 3000x3000 pixels, or be able to create one using a photo editing tool such as Photoshop.
If you have questions or encounter difficulty with this process, please contact the OIT Service Desk at https://oit.duke.edu/help.
- Log in to http://launch.warpwire.duke.edu
- Create a Media Library by creating the "+" icon in the upper right as shown here:
- Click the ellipsis next to your Media Library name (see below). You should see "Share," "Analytics" and "Settings" pop up. Click "Share".
- So that Apple Podcasts can access your files, change the permissions for the Media Library to Public by selecting "Share with everyone on the web (Public)" from the dropdown menu as shown below. When your Media Library is set to Public, it will have a light green background as shown above in the screenshots for Steps 2 and 3.
- By default, the person or account with which you src="https://duke.service-now.com/ve logged into Warpwire will be shown as the author of your feed on Apple Podcasts. To change the author, click on Settings. Then click the " hange" button, search for the author src="https://duke.service-now.com/s name, and click their name when it appears. Only users within the Duke system may be listed as podcast authors.
Perhaps your podcast is produced by a Duke program or department, and you want that name to appear as the podcast author, rather than the name of an individual. You can do that. Go to Settings/ Metadata Profiles and click the Add Profile button shown below:
From the dropdown menu, select "iTunes Podcast":
You src="https://duke.service-now.com/ll see a list of 14 metadata attributes you can define. The seventh one down is " uthor." Enter the name you wish to appear in Apple Podcasts as the author of your podcast.
After you enter the name of your podcast src="https://duke.service-now.com/s Author, you" l need to fill in a few more required fields. First, under "Type," choose "Episodic" or "Serial." Episodic is for stand-alone episodes, and recommended play order will be newest to oldest. Serial is for narrative podcasts, and recommended play order will be oldest to newest.
Next, under "Language," select the most appropriate choice from the drop-down list:
Finally, under "Category," select the term that best fits your podcast:
Once you src="https://duke.service-now.com/ve made all these changes, scroll down to the bottom of the metadata list and click " ave" as shown below:
- Apple podcasts includes a thumbnail image that will default to the first media file in your library. To change this, you can upload a custom thumbnail. This artwork should be square, a minimum of 1400x1400 pixels, and a maximum of 3000x3000 pixels (dpi is irrelevant when using absolute pixel dimensions). To upload a custom thumbnail go to Settings/ Edit Thumbnail as shown below:
In the window that appears, click the "+" icon as shown below, then browse to find the .jpg or .png file on your computer. Click "Change":
- Now you src="https://duke.service-now.com/re ready to upload the audio or video files that comprise your podcast to your new Media Library. See Related Warpwire Documentation below for a tutorial on uploading to Warpwire.
- Warpwire will automatically generate a thumbnail for videos but not audio files. To add one for audio files, or a custom one for videos, go to Settings/ Edit Thumbnail. You will see a "+" button that will open up a finder window where you can browse your desktop to find and upload an image.
- To facilitate access to your podcasts for users with disabilities, please add transcripts for your podcast episodes. To do this, copy and paste the text of the transcript into the Description field in Warpwire for each episode. Once you paste your text into the Description field, you src="https://duke.service-now.com/ll see a " ave changes" button. Press it.
- Navigate back to you Media Library src="https://duke.service-now.com/s Share settings:
- Click the RSS tab as shown in the image below, and click the word "copy":
- Check your feed using this Podcast feed validator that Apple recommends: https://podba.se/validate/. If your feed doesn't pass, or you have any questions about this process, take out a ticket with the OIT Service Desk at oit.duke.edu/help and someone will assist you.
- Log in to the Podcast Site Manager using your Apple ID (https://sitemanager.itunes.apple.com). If you do not have access to Duke University Podcasts in Podcast Site Manager, email Duke src="https://duke.service-now.com/s iTunes team at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access
- Click "Duke University" next to "Podcasts"
- Click "Podcasts" in the menu on the top of the page as shown below:
- If you are converting a podcast that already exists in Apple Podcasts to a Warpwire-hosted feed, click the Settings (gear) icon next to your podcast title. If you are creating a new podcast and not converting an existing one, skip to Step 18.
You src="https://duke.service-now.com/ll see the following menu:
If your podcast is hosted by Apple, you src="https://duke.service-now.com/ll see " onvert to Provider-Hosted Podcast." Select this option. If you do not see this option, no action is required for the podcast.
- Paste the RSS feed URL you copied in Step 11 and click OK to complete the process. Allow three hours for the podcast conversion to complete.
- If you are creating a new feed in Apple Podcasts, click the "+" icon next to "Add Podcasts":
- Paste the RSS feed URL you got from Warpwire into the Feed URL field as shown below:
- Click "Add"
- After a moment, you should see your new podcast populate in the Podcast Site Manager with the label "new" next to it as shown below:
- Contact email@example.com to let Duke src="https://duke.service-now.com/s Apple Podcasts team know you" e ready to publish your podcast. Your podcast won’t show up in Apple Podcasts the first time you upload, but after that it will update automatically.
- Note that you can also share your RSS feed in other apps like Stitcher , Google Play, and TuneIn.
- Creating a Media Library: https://www.warpwire.com/support/organize/create-a-new-media-library/
- Uploading audio and video files to Warpwire: https://www.warpwire.com/support/upload/upload-to-media-library/.
- What audio and video formats are supported by Warpwire?: https://www.warpwire.com/support/upload/browser-requirements-and-file-types/