Verizon Wireless is one of Duke's preferred service providers. The links below provide unit account managers with information regarding common account activities.
To manage your account, visit Verizon Enterprise Center (VEC).
Verizon Wireless mobile lines on a Duke account the following discounts and benefits:
- Discounts on Duke’s Pooling Plans that include unlimited text messaging
- Discounts on retail pricing for equipment
- No activation fees for new lines of service
- No early termination fee
- Flexible online account management via Verizon Enterprise Center (VEC)
Managing international travelers
You may have mobile users that travel abroad. To ensure cost-saving plans and features are active on the device before they depart, read about Verizon Wireless's international services, then contact Verizon:
- Call the Global Services Team at 800-711-8300
- Provide the user's travel destination (country or countries) and length of trip
- Advise Verizon of the user's needed capabilities (calling, email, texting, etc.).
Verizon will activate the necessary features and provide a confirmation email; retain this information to ensure proper billing on subsequent invoices. Upon the user's return to the US, contact Verizon's Business Support Center at 800-922-0204 and advise them to discontinue any international plans and features (unless the user travels abroad so frequently that it is more convenient to keep the global plans in place).
Note: Advise your users that if they run applications on their mobile devices, they should be sure they are not running in the background when they travel abroad. Use the "task killer" to close any applications; otherwise, international data usage charges may apply.
For the occasional traveler, Verizon provides a Global Travel Program, with short-term plans and loaner devices.
How to transfer a number from the Duke account to a personal account
As an account manager, you may wish to transfer a mobile number off of your Duke account onto a personal account for one of your users. Verizon advises using the following process to complete this transition (referred to as transfer of financial responsiblity or assumption of liability):
- Duke account manager: Contact Verizon's Business Support Center at 800-922-0204 and advise them that you release Duke's financial responsiblity for the mobile number; Verizon will note the account.
- User: Call Verizon (800-922-0204 or *611 from the mobile) within 30 days to assume responsibility for the number.
NOTE: The user must assume responsibility within 30 days of the account manager's release of the number, or the account manager will need to release the number with Verizon again.
How to transfer a number from a personal account to a Duke account
As an account manager, you may wish to begin paying for a user's personal mobile number. Verizon advises using the following process to complete this transition (referred to as transfer of financial responsiblity or assumption of liability):
- Account owner (user whose name is on the personal account): Contact Verizon Customer Support at 800-922-0204 (or *611 from the mobile) and advise them that you wish to transfer financial responsibility for the mobile number to Duke; Verizon will note the account. If the number being transfered is the lead number on a multi-line account (e.g. Friends and Family Plan), another number on the account will become the lead number.
- Duke account manager: Call Verizon's Assumption of Liability line, 888-832-4540 and request that the number be assigned to your Duke account. Note that you may need to provide the current account owner's name, which may be different from the user's name.
How to move a number from another provider to Verizon Wireless ("port")
To move (port) a number from another provider to your unit's Verizon Wireless account, log in to Verizon Enterprise Center (VEC) and click Orders > Create Orders. Select Keep Your Existing Phone Number. You will need the user's account information (name on the account, billing address) in order to complete the order.
Ordering equipment and accessories
To upgrade a Verizon Wireless device, order a new number with a new device, or order accessories, log in to Verizon Enterprise Center (VEC).
- Shipping address: When placing orders for equipment, use the following format for delivery by FedEx:
- Address line 1: Valid US Postal Service street address - do not include suite or room number (each Duke building is assigned a street address; these can be looked up on the Duke campus map.)
- Address line 2: Suite or room number or Duke Box number (do not indicate 'PO' Box.)
For new sales or consultation, contact:
Major Account Manager
Account Billing Questions
Please contact the Verizon Business Center at 1-800-922-0204 for questions regarding your invoice.