Using Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) with Duke's Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Multi-factor authentication is required when connecting to Duke's virtual private network (VPN). Do the following:
- Go to your Cisco AnyConnect VPN client or to https://portal.duke.edu.
- Select the desired VPN and click Connect.
- Enter your NetID and password and click OK.
- In the MFA Option field, do one of the following:
- Type "1" - To receive push notification to your device's mobile app. This is the most portable option and also allows for access if you don’t have service or Wi-Fi in your area.
- Type "2" - To authenticate by receiving a phone call.
- Type "3" - To receive ten temporary passcodes via text message. Each passcode may be used once -- they expire 72 hours after they are issued. Enter one of those codes into the MFA Option field.
- To use a YubiKey, connect the YubiKey to your computer, put your cursor in the MFA Option field, and touch the YubiKey's sensor. A code will automatically be generated.
5. Click Continue. You are connected to the VPN.
If you need assistance, contact the OIT Service Desk, 919-684-2200.
Article Number: KB0028460