Sites@Duke: Tips for student organizations
Student organizations can use Sites@Duke to create their organizations web site. When you create your site, the URL will be sites.duke.edu/yourorganizationsname
Attention: Sites@Duke is not approved for storage of sensitive or restricted data as classified by https://security.duke.edu/policies/data-classification-standard. To review approved sensitive data storage options, please reference https://oit.duke.edu/help/articles/comparison-document-management-collaboration-tools
- Because Sites@Duke uses Duke NetID, you can easily add other Duke people
Administration and Transition
- Use sub-sites to manage and share special content while keeping it linked to your main website. For example, you can:
- create a sub-site for your fall signature event and make sure that whoever is in charge of that event has admin access. Or
- have a private sub-site for executive members only to facilitate collaboration and share administrative updates.
- Make sure to add your club advisor as an admin, so that they can always help the new executive members gain access to your site.
Working with Media
- Only upload your most important files to the site (e.g., logo, constitution, special graphics).
- If you need to store and archive a lot of files, consider using Box (box.duke.edu). For pictures and all other media, please reference the integrated embed options, which includes but is not limited to Duke Media Embed.
- The Share Buttons by AddToAny plugin makes it easy to enable visitors to share content from your site.
- You can use the My Calendar plugin to manage and share your events.
- You can also add your events to calendar.duke.edu, and then build an RSS feed that you will publish on your website.
- Alternatively, you can try to embed a Google calendar into a page.
Appearance and Design
- You can consult DiDA for advice and help on designing your site.
- Remember that Sites@Duke is updated throughout the year and you can submit requests for plugins that you would like to see included in the future.