VPN: University VPN Install and Connection Guide for Windows
Installing and connecting to the University VPN
These steps are for installing and connecting the University VPN client via Windows. Every member of the University community with a NetID has access to download the VPN Client. If you need assistance with the DUHS connection, please contact the DHTS Service Desk at 919 684 2243.
You may download the Windows Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client from software.duke.edu and searching for "VPN"
You must have the appropriate administrative rights to install software on your computer to proceed with the installation.
1) In a browser window, login to software.duke.edu and search for VPN.
2) After the Order process is complete for the correct version for your device, go to My Orders at the top of the page, and click the Download button to see the page providing the download information.
3) Download and run installer with all default settings.
If you are prompted with the below message, please click Yes
Once, finished, click Finish
1) Upon successful installation, please open Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client from the Start Menu.
2) Once opened, it will say "Ready to connect." If the address/server field is blank, enter portal.duke.edu. If it is prefilled, please do not modify. Click Connect.
3) The credential window will pop-up.
The most common "Group" is "-Default-". This should only be changed if you have been instructed to do otherwise.
Type your NetID and NetID password
4) Select the appropriate MFA option.
5) The VPN client will now connect - and may update if necessary.
You can check if you are connected by looking at your taskbar (near your clock) and slightly hovering over the icon. It will say VPN connected.
If you need further assistance, contact your local IT support group/person.
You can also contact your appropriate Service Desk:
University Users: OIT Service Desk - 919 684 2200
Duke Health Users: DHTS Service Desk - 919 684 2243