VPN: University VPN Install and Connection Guide for Windows
Installing the University VPN client and connecting
**MFA is now required for VPN access, please see kb: KB0028460 for instructions**
These steps are for connecting the University VPN client via Windows only. Every member of the University community with a NetID has access to download the VPN Client. If you need assistance with the DUHS connection, please contact the DHTS Service Desk at 919 684 2243.
The MAC version can be retrieved from here
Be sure your Java is up to date before proceeding with the installation. https://www.java.com/en/download/
If you download the version on the OIT Software page , the zip file contains numerous files. Basic functionality as listed below will be reproduced if you run the
anyconnect-win-4.4.03034-core-vpn-predeploy-k9 version. Keep in mind the numbers might change. The other installer packages in the zip file are for added functions and are up to user preference. Installation instructions continue below.
1) In a browser window, go to vpn.duke.edu
2) On the webpage, enter your NetID and password. In the department field, choose Library Resources Only. Click Login.
3) An message will pop up asking you to continue. Please be aware of the message. Click Continue
4) A download window will pop-up. Click Download. If web-based installation fails, go to step 4a. Otherwise, go to step 5
4a) You will receive the message below telling you web-based installation failed. This usually occurs if java or Windows is not up to date. Please click the link under 'install using the link below' message.
5) You may get a pop-up to run the application(depending on your security settings) for Cisco AnyConnect Client.
6) Upon successful installation, you will find the file in Windows under Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. It will say ready to connect. If the address/server field is blank, enter vpn.duke.edu. Click Connect.
7) The credential window will pop-up. Supply your NetID credentials and choose a group. This will depend on your department or department you are connecting to, please contact the IT group of the department you need access to for assistance. Choose Library Resource Only if you are not accessing any specific department.
8) A warning window will pop up. Please choose Accept if you agree or Disconnect if you do not.
9) The VPN client will now connect. You can check if you are by looking at your taskbar and right-clicking the client. Connected to vpn.duke.edu will appear in place of ready to connect.
The VPN service is supported by Duke University Network Services. Problems with installation and use should begin with the Duke University Service Desk.
If you need further assistance with installing or connecting to the University VPN - contact the OIT Service Desk at 919 684 2200
If you need further assistance with installing or connecting to the DUHS VPN - contact the DHTS Service Desk at 919 684 2243