Sites@Duke: How do I turn off comments?
How do I turn off comments?
Allowing readers of your site to comment on specific posts or pages is a hallmark of blogging technologies such as WordPress. With that said, there might be times you don’t want to allow readers to comment on a blog post or page.
To turn off commenting on an individual post or page
- From within the Dashboard, navigate to Posts/Pages > All Posts/Pages
- Hover over the name of the page or post for which you wish to turn off commenting. Click Edit.
- Scroll down past the content boxes and look for the Discussion options. Uncheck ‘Allow comments‘. Save.
(NOTE: if you don’t see these options, they might be hidden. Look for the ‘Screen Options’ button toward the top of your WordPress screen. Click on it, and you’ll see a set of options drop-down. Make sure ‘Discussion’ is selected).
To turn off comments for multiple posts or pages
- From within the Dashboard, navigate to Posts > All Posts or Pages > All Pages. (If you want to turn off comments for your pages, go to Pages > All Pages, and vice versa for posts).
- Click the checkbox next to Title to select all of your posts or pages. Or click the checkboxes next to each post or page you wish to edit.
- From the Bulk Actions dropdown menu, select Edit, then click Apply.
- On the Bulk Edit page that appears, under Comments select Do Not Allow. Click Update.
To turn off commenting by default
If you don’t want anyone to comment on any of your blog posts or pages, you can turn this off by default as well. [NOTE: This will only turn off commenting for new posts or pages.]
1. From your site’s Dashboard, click Settings and Discussion
3. Scroll down and click Save Changes.
Questions? Contact the OIT Service Desk, https://oit.duke.edu/help/