VPN: University VPN Install and Connection Guide for Mac
Installing and connecting to the University VPN
These steps are for installing and connecting the University VPN client via Mac. Every member of the University community with a NetID has access to download the VPN Client. If you need assistance with the DUHS connection, please contact the DHTS Service Desk at 919 684 2243.
You may download the Mac version of Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client from software.duke.edu and searching for "VPN"
You must have the appropriate administrative rights to install software on your computer to proceed with the installation.
1) In a browser window, login to software.duke.edu and search for VPN.
2) After the Order process is complete for the correct version for your device, go to My Orders at the top of the page, and click the Download button to see the page providing the download information.
3) Download and run installer using the steps below.
Step1. Double-click on AnyConnect.pkg to start the installation process.
Step 2. Once the install wizard opens, click Continue.
Step 3. Review the Agreement and click Continue.
Step 4. Click Agree.
Step 5. Uncheck all package names except VPN and Diagnostics and Reporting Tool. Click Continue.
Step 6. Click Install
Step 7. After the installation completes, click Close.
1) Upon successful installation, please open Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client from the Cisco folder in your Application folder.
2) Once opened, it will say "Ready to connect." If the address/server field is blank, enter portal.duke.edu (or vpn.duke.edu). Click Connect.
3) The credential window will pop-up.
The most common "Group" is "-Default-". This should only be changed if you have been instructed to do otherwise.
Type your NetID and NetID password
4) Select the appropriate MFA option.
5) The VPN client will now connect - and may update if necessary.
You can check if you are by looking at your taskbar and click on the Anyconnect symbol. Connected to portal.duke.edu will appear in place of ready to connect.
If you need further assistance, contact your local IT support group/person.
You can also contact your appropriate Service Desk:
University Users: OIT Service Desk - 919 684 2200
Duke Health Users: DHTS Service Desk - 919 684 2243
Article number: KB0014020
Valid to: June 8, 2024