Virtualization and Storage
Powerful solutions for your virtualization and storage needs.
You can tap into Duke's virtualized operating systems, servers and storage systems across campus. These cloud-based options prevent hardware failures and limitations and can expand your computing, hosting and storage power at Duke. View a side-by-side comparison chart of VM options at Duke.
Virtualization and storage options include:
- Virtual Computing Manager - Faculty and students can reserve semester-long VMs at vcm.duke.edu.
- rtoolkits - Research VMs can be reserved at rtoolkits.web.duke.edu.
- Administrative VMs - Staff and faculty can provision VMs at clockworks.oit.duke.edu site.
- Virtual Server Hosting (VMs) - OIT maintains a centralized VMware ESX environment that provides virtual machines (VMs) to both OIT supported services as well as departments and schools across Duke.
- Centralized Storage - There are 5 standard offerings that align with a majority of the requirements requested.
- Enterprise TSM Backups - Backs up a copy of the data stored on your computer/server to a central server designed for backups.
- Duke Box - Access, store and share content securely with Duke and non-Duke users — anywhere, anytime, on any device.
- Research Computing - Computing and data-related services - from access to high-performance and high-throughput computing installations, to "big data" storage or visualization.
- Database Hosting and Administration - Host your databases on dedicated, highly available shared servers for Oracle, MS SQL Server and Galera relational database management systems.