Duke SymMon App PRIVACY NOTICE
Duke SymMon App
IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
Duke University, its affiliates or subsidiaries (“Duke”, “we”, “our”, or “us”) recognize that you may be concerned about our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. We respect your privacy and are committed to providing a transparent notice of our privacy practices.
This privacy notice describes the type of information we may collect from you (“you,” “your”) when you register as a user of the Duke SymMon Application (the “App”). When you register as a user of the App, you are agreeing to participate in the daily symptom monitoring program administered pursuant to (1) the Duke Compact, (2) the return to campus guidelines set forth at Return to Duke, and/or (3) Duke’s COVID-19 safety plans for specified in-person activities, each as applicable to you (collectively “COVID-19 Safety Plans”). Please note that these terms do not apply to information we collect, receive, or accesses outside of the App. The App is for use for those who are participating in Duke’s Symptom Monitoring Program.
The App and Data Collection
Please carefully review your applicable COVID-19 Safety Plan prior to downloading and/or using the App. The types of information collected, used, and disclosed in your situation will be based, in part, on the requirements of your COVID-19 Safety Plan.
Once you have reviewed and consented to or acknowledged your COVID-19 Safety Plan, you will need to enroll in the Symptom Monitoring Program. There will be 3 ways to do this: (1) through the App, (2) through the RedCap Morning Symptom Log, or (3) by calling in to report your symptoms through a to-be announced phone submission service. If you do not participate in one of these ways, you will not be eligible to receive the daily symptom monitoring surveys administered as part of the COVID-19 Safety Plan applicable to you. Please contact Duke’s Disability Management System (DMS) at access.duke.edu to request assistance or a reasonable accommodation.
THIS APP IS DESIGNED TO ENABLE COVID-19 SYMPTOM MONITORING FOR EMPLOYMENT, CLINICAL, EDUCATIONAL, OR OTHER IN-PERSON PARTICIPATION ONLY. THE APP IS NOT FOR TREATMENT PURPOSES AND IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO TAKE THE PLACE OF TALKING TO YOUR DOCTOR. IF YOU HAVE A MEDICAL QUESTION OR CONCERN, PLEASE SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR. IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, CALL 911 OR GO TO THE NEAREST EMERGENCY FACILITY.
1. Personal Data Collected through the App.
We collect several types of information from and about you, including:
- Information provided by you, such as name, date of birth, telephone number, COVID-19 symptom data, and other personally identifying information. For example, we collect information from you when you register for the App, when you fill out the symptom survey, or when you share information about individuals with whom you have come into contact with before or after a positive COVID-19 test;
- Information provided by other sources about you. As part of our COVID-19 symptom survey App, we may also collect information about you from the Duke Directory or other sources to help us authenticate you upon registration; and
- Information collected automatically as you navigate the App. Information collected automatically may include usage details, domain address, IP addresses, your internet connection, unique device identifiers, the equipment you use to access our App, and information collected through cookies. If you give us permission, we may also collect location-based information about your time and place of arrival to, and exit from, our campus. We may collect this information directly from the device on which you use the App. This location function will be turned off by default and you will receive a notice of the App’s request to collect location information. If you do not turn-on the location function in the settings or you do not consent to the notice, we will not collect this information unless you manually enter it in.
Please note that you may be asked to voluntarily provide contact information of individuals with whom you have come into contact in the event you test positive for COVID-19.
2. How we Use Your Information. When you provide us with personal data through the App (including location-based information that you give us permission to collect), we will use it to communicate with you regarding applicable COVID-19 Safety Plans, to administer the COVID-19 Safety Plans, to provide contact tracing, and to manage compliance with the COVID-19 Safety Plans. If you fail to respond to symptom monitoring surveys, we may also use the absence of information about who has not responded to administer the COVID-19 Safety Plans and to manage compliance with the COVID-19 Safety Plans.
3. Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose information that we collect about you or that you provide us directly as described in this privacy notice:
- to Duke staff or employees who are administering COVID-19 Safety Plans, providing contact tracing, or managing compliance with COVID-19 Safety Plans;
- service providers who are under contractual obligations to keep this information confidential;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, to process your symptom survey;
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information;
- with your consent; and
- as permitted by law or to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government, regulatory, or law enforcement request.
4. Accounts. By creating an account on the App, you agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information, (b) maintain the security of your account credentials, (c) immediately notify us if you discover or otherwise suspect any security breaches related to the App or your account. By creating an account on the App, you agree to receive communications from Duke (e.g., via email) about the symptom monitoring program.
5. Security. We have implemented reasonable measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to the App, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
6. Protecting Children's Privacy. The App is intended to be used by individuals over the age of 18 unless your authorized guardian agrees to these terms on your behalf. We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under 13 years of age. If we become aware that we have collected personal data from a child under 13 years of age, we will promptly remove such information. If You believe we have collected information from your child, please notify us through "Question and Comments" below.
7. Updating Your Information. If your information needs to be updated, corrected, or deleted, please notify us using the contact information provided below. Your personal data can only be deleted in accordance with our data retention policy, and as permitted by law. Further, personal data may remain in databases, access logs, backup media, and other records. We cannot update or remove information from records of third parties.
8. Changes to this Privacy Notice. We have the discretion to update these terms at any time. When we do, we will revise the “Last Updated” date at the bottom of this page. We encourage you to frequently check this page for any changes to stay informed about how we collect and use your information. You acknowledge and agree that it is your responsibility to review these terms periodically and become aware of modifications.
9. Questions and Comments. If you have any questions or comments about these terms as they relate to the use of the SymMon app, please contact email@example.com. If you have general questions about Duke’s health response to COVID-19, please contact the following offices:
Employees: Employee Occupational Health & Wellness – 919-684-3136
Students: Student Health – 919-385-0429
Last Updated: July 23, 2020