Screencast Screen Capture Utilities
What is a screencast/screen capture utility?
Screencasting is a technology that allows you to take what you do on a computer and turn it into a movie. This can be as basic as a movie of a user navigating through the use of a piece of software, a Web search, etc. Screencast software typically allows for the addition of audio, video, and (in some cases) annotation.
What sceencast utilities are available?
There are many options to choose from. Here are a few of the most notable:
- Camtasia Studio - $319 - Windows - Captures all screen activity and audio on a PC. Version 4 allows production directly to iPod formats.
- Captivate - $600 - Windows - Software from Adobe to capture screen activity, audio, and video. Includes the ability to annotate, etc. which some users find very useful.
- Microsoft Producer - Windows - Free with PowerPoint. This PowerPoint add-on lets you synchronize audio, slides, images, and video.
- ProfCast - $29 - Mac - Record enhanced podcasts and more.
- Snapz Pro X w/ Movie Capture - $69 - Mac - Captures all screen activity and audio on a Mac.
- Jing Project - Free - Windows/Mac - Fast and easy software for sharing quick, short, narrated screencaptures. Great for quickly showing someone how to do something on a computer. From the makers of Camtasia.
- Screen Flow - $99 - Mac - Powerful, full-featured screencapture. Built specially to take advantage of the Mac platform.
Where can I learn more about screencasting?
- Screencasting software comparison on DonationCoder.com
- Introduction to screencasting from O'Reilly
- List of screencast tools and information
Where can I see examples of screencasts?
- Camtasia demos from TechSmith
- Captivate Tutorials - Adobe Captivate Developer Center.
- http://www.duke.edu/~ghturner/WinZip-Demo/WinZip-Demo.htm is a narrated tutorial intended for students in our on-line classes explaining how to use WinZip. It was created by Trey Turner from the School of Nursing at Duke University, using Captivate.
- John Carbuccia - School of Nursing - This is a tutorial explaining how to prepare a narrated PowerPoint presentation using the PPT Record Narration function. Click here for the link: Recording Audio for Power Point Presentations
- Tutorials on using programs for the Mac from http://screencastsonline.com/ . These were created using Snapz Pro X.
What peripherals might I want to use with a screencast utility?
OIT has a page with peripherals for a variety of applications. Please look for the screencast icon for those peripherals appropriate for screencast applications.