Hinting QuickTime Movies
(Hinting is necessary to prepare QT files for DukeStream Pro and for DukeStream Personal)
QuickTime movies must be hinted in order to stream via dedicated streaming servers such as quicktime.oit.duke.edu (DukeStream Pro) and streaming.oit.duke.edu (DukeStream Personal). To determine whether your movie is hinted, follow these steps:
Note: These steps require that you have QuickTime Pro installed. QuickTime Pro costs about $30.00 and can be purchased online from Apple here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/buy/
- Open your movie in Quicktime Pro
- Select Window/ Show Movie Properties. In the list of tracks at the top of the screen, you should see two "Hint Tracks"—one for the audio and one for the video.
If you see tracks specifically labelled "Hint Tracks", your files are ready for streaming.
If you do not see tracks specifically labelled "Hint Tracks", you must follow these additional steps:
- With your movie still open in QuickTime Pro, select File/ Export
- In the dropdown menu labelled "Export", select "Movie to Hinted Movie."
- Save the file (you have the option to overwrite your original file or create a different movie with a new name).