Multimedia Project Studio
The Multimedia Project Studio is a computer lab specializing in tools for the production of multimedia and graphic content. Priority use of the MPS is given to patrons engaging in multimedia-relavent activities.
Student Media Professionals
The MPS provides specially trained student staff that can assist you with your multimedia projects. While we strive to maintain staffing hours from noon to midnight, Sunday through Thursday during the Fall and Spring Semesters, there may be times when that schedule is adjusted to accomodate our student staff's schedules. It is highly recommended that you check the up to date schedule before visiting the MPS if you wish to consult with a student staff member.
MPS (006 Bostock) - map
The lab features high-end, integrated hardware and software that encourages imaginative creation and editing of graphics, web pages, audio and video. Production tools include industry standard software.
- Apple’s Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor for video editing
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, AfterEffects, etc.)
The top-of-the-line 5K workstations in each lab are equipped with specialized peripherals, such as drawing tablets, scanners, video digitizers, and DVD burners.
Trained technicians are on staff in the MPS in Bostock to help you with your multimedia projects during scheduled hours, but are not able to do production work on your behalf. While in the labs, you can also get help from Lynda.com or one of our talented student media professional.
NOTE: Although patrons are able to save work on these machines during their session, it is required that you back up all of your files to your own external hard drive. Files will be deleted after every semester has ended. The MPS is not responsible for any lost or damaged files.
Begining in Fall 2015, the MPS utilizes an advanced network storage solution. For most of our users, this transition will be completely seamless. The contents of users' Documents, Movies and Photos folders will now be stored in the cloud and accessible instantly from any MPS workstation.
MPS Special Facilities
MPS Video Suite
The MPS Video Suite provides a place for recording video using tools such as Camtasia and QuickTime. A green screen and black curtain are available for use as backdrops.
MPS Audio Suite
The MPS Audio Suite provides professional quality microphones to allow up to two people to record audio in a sound controlled environment using Garageband, Audacity, or Logic. Use of the audio suite is available by reservation or walk-in (see below).
General Reservation Policies
- No facilities can be reserved for non-media use. Even if your reservation is accepted, if it is determined that you are doing non-media activities, you will be asked to leave, regardless of your reservation.
- Check availability of the resource before submitting your reservation request
- Reservations can be made as follows:
- Log into your Duke Office 365 account or Microsoft Exchange account
- Create a meeting on your calendar corresponding to the date/time you wish to reserve the resource
- Invite the resource you wish to schedule by searching it for it as an attendee: "MPS West Studio" or "MPS West Audio Booth"
- You will receive an automated confirmation email indicating if your reservation was approved or denied.
- A reservation for the Studio is highly recommended to guarantee availabilty.
- Reservations for the Audio Suite are available during staffed hours.
- The Video Suite may be reserved any time the lab is open. If you would like assistance during your session, make your reservation during staffed hours. During the semester, our hours are Sunday - Thursday, noon to midnight, and Friday noon to six pm. Schedules are subject to change, so the best way to ensure a staffer will be available is to check our live schedule. Patrons with reservations have priority over non-scheduled users.
- All reservations are on a first come, first served basis. The MPS administration does not negotiate for rescheduling reservation on behalf of any patrons.
- Reservations are limited to 4 hours per session
- If you show up more than 30 minutes beyond the start of your reservation, you have forfeited your reservation.
For questions regarding multimedia tools or the MPS, email the MPS staff mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
For general or administrative questions: email@example.com
Hardware & Software
- iMac Retina 5K, 27", Late 2014
- 4 GHz Intel Core i7
- 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
- AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB Graphics Card
- 500GB Apple SSD SM512G Hard Drive
- Mac OS X 10.10.5*
- MediaNET Storage System
- 1 Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner
- 1 Epson Perfection 2450 Photo Scanner
- 1 Nikon COOLSCAN IV ED 35mm/IX240 film scanner with Nikon SA-21 Strip Film Adapter
- Video Importing Stations with support for DV, VHS, and DVD
- Gefen Personal Video Recorder
- Samson C01U
- VHS and DVD decks for lab use
- Wacom Bamboo
- Headphone Amp on each workstation
Audio Booth @MPS West
- 2 Samson C01U Microphones
- 2 Microphone Shock Absorber
- 1 Microphone Pop Filter
- 1 Samsung 550 37” Full 1080p HD LCD TV
- 27" iMac
MPS Studio @West (Now Available)
- Updated for the 2015-2016 Academic Year
- Simplified use system no longer requires Crestron or advanced control
- High Quality Panasonic Robotic camera with built in streaming and control
- SoundStructure automated audio control and echo cancellation
- Apple system with full MPS software load-out
- 55" 3D HDTV
- Wacom Cintiq 22HD Touch Screen (new)
- Black Cyc
(List is not exhaustive)
- Adobe Creative Suite 6
- iLife Suite
- iMovie HD
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Apple Compressor 4.1
- Apple Logic Pro***
- Apple Motion 5
- SketchUp 14 with STL Exporter
- Microsoft Office
- Amadeus Pro
- MakerWare Desktop
* Current or near current minor version. Updates are applied every semester.
** On most machines.
*** On select machines.