Multimedia Project Studio
The Multimedia Project Studio includes two multimedia production facilities for Duke students, faculty and staff.
- West Campus branch in 006 Bostock Library
- East Campus branch in 115 Lilly Library
Both labs feature high-end, integrated hardware and software that encourage imaginative creation and editing of graphics, Web pages, audio and video. Production tools include industry standard software.
- Apple’s Final Cut Pro Studio for video editing
- Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, AfterEffects, etc.)
The top-of-the-line workstations in each lab are equipped with LCD displays and specialized peripherals, such as drawing tablets, scanners, video digitizers and DVD burners.
Trained technicians are on staff to help you with your multimedia projects during scheduled hours but are not able to do production work on your behalf. To get acquainted with the staff and their particular areas of multimedia expertise, check out the MPS staff profiles. While in the labs, you can also get help from the learning library stocked with manuals and other reference materials.
NOTE: Although patrons are able to save work locally on these machines, we STRONGLY recommend backing up any important files to an external hard drive or to your CIFS space. Unattended files will be deleted without notice after a period of four months of inactivity. The MPS is not responsible for any lost or damaged files.
MPS Service Model
Over the summer of 2010, OIT initiated and completed a top to bottom review and refresh of the MPS Service Model. This is the first effort of its kind that the MPS has ever undertaken. Over the years since it’s inception, the MPS has slowly evolved to continue to meet the growing needs of our patrons, however we’ve never taken the time to sit back and really take a close look at what works, what doesn’t work, and what we can do to improve our services. The result of that work is the document enclosed here: MPS Service Model Document (PDF).
MPS Video Recording and Conferencing Room
The MPS in West Campus has a Video Recording and Conferencing Room available to use for High-Definition Video Conferences and Video Capture Sessions. The MPS Recording/Conferencing room is unlocked during normal lab operating hours. A reservation is recommeneded to guarantee availabilty. Reservations can be made using the MPS Reservations Form per the policies below:
- Reservations can be made for any time the lab is open. If you would like assistance make your reservation during staffed hours. During the semester, our hours are Sunday - Thursday, noon to midnight, and Friday noon to six pm. However, schedules are subject to change, so the best way to ensure a staffer will be available is to check our live schedule.
- Patrons with reservations have priority over non-scheduled users. It is highly advisable that you check the MPS Conference Room calendar, which is linked from the desktop of the Macintosh Computer in the conference room, before setting up to work in this room.
- Reservations are limited to 4 hours per session, and no more than 2 sessions per week.
- We will respond to all requests within two business days.
- If you show up more than 30 minutes beyond the start of your reservation, you have forfeited your reservation.
- This is not a general meeting or general computing work area. Patrons not engaged in specific activities related to the purpose of this space may be asked to leave by MPS Staff at any time.
MPS blog - The Spark
The Spark is a Wordpress blog run by the MPS and written by the MPS Consultants and manager. The content ranges from news and announcements about the lab to full tutorials and tips about our software and hardware. Feel free to peruse the blog or subscribe to get our posts delivered straight to your favorite RSS reader.
NOTE: During Winter, Summer, and other breaks we will have abbreviated and irregular hours. Please consult the Live Schedule for the most up-to-date information about our staffing schedule.
East Campus branch (115 Lilly Library) - map
NEW West Campus branch (006 Bostock) - map
West Campus branch (Old Chemistry 016) - map
The MPS West branch in Old Chem 016 is permanently closed and the facilities relocated to the new MPS West branch in Bostock.
NOTE: These hours are subject to change without notice, due to staffing difficulties. Please see our Live Schedule for up-to-date staffing.
Contact the Multimedia Project Studio
For questions regarding multimedia production or the MPS, email the MPS staff mailing list: email@example.com
MPS – West phone: (919) 681-5547
MPS – East phone: (919) 684-5550
Erin Nettifee, MPS lab manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chip Bobbert, MPS service manager: email@example.com